Roof damage is not likely to be something you think about often until there’s an obvious sign of a problem. While there are many causes of significant roof damage, high winds are commonly known to cause issues. Unfortunately, wind damage can go unnoticed, resulting in progressive damage that comes with expensive repair costs.
The best way to deal with wind damage is to be proactive with your inspections and repairs. But how do you know if high winds have damaged your roof? Let’s explore the common signs of wind damage and how different wind speeds impact your roof.
Signs of Wind Damage in Your Roofing Palm Coast?
Residential roofs are particularly susceptible to wind damage because they are vulnerable to outdoor weather conditions. While most winds tend to cause damage to the edge of your roofing, damage to any part of your roof is possible. If your roof is older or already has loose shingles or minor damage, these spots become easy targets to high winds.
If you’ve recently experienced a significant storm with high winds, it’s best to call for an inspection. However, here are some steps you can take to check for roof damage:
- Get outside when it is safe and walk around the exterior of your home.
- Inspect the exterior of your roof from the ground by looking around at the points you can see.
- Look for missing, curling, peeling, split, loose, or damaged shingles. You should also check for granule loss, damage from debris, and chimney issues.
- Once you’ve inspected the exterior of your home, look for indoor signs of roof damage. Inspect your attic and ceilings. If you notice wet spots, peeling paint, or yellow or brown discoloration, there’s a good chance you have a roof leak.
If you see any signs of damage or suspect an issue, contact your local roofing Palm Coast company immediately for an inspection. If you want to discover more about What Causes Roofing Damage in Flagler County? Look through our article on the Main Causes of Storm Damage to your Roof.
How Do Different Wind Speeds Impact Your Roof?
Wind speeds vary significantly from one storm to the next. Still, even the slightest burst of wind can compromise the integrity of your roof. As wind speeds increase, you are more likely to experience property damage. Here’s a breakdown of how wind speeds can impact your property:
- 45-55 MPH– Winds can tear down tree branches and other debris. It can also loosen or remove loose shingles from your roof.
- 55-75 MPH– Winds can uproot or knock down trees and rip shingles from your roof.
- 75+ MPH– Winds typically create widespread tree damage that significantly impacts roofs. They also can create significant damage to commercial roofs, which are typically more durable than residential.
Even significant roof damage can be repaired if you act quickly. Watch for the obvious signs of damage to your roofing Palm Coast and contact a professional roofer immediately for help.
Schedule a Free Inspection with R&K Roofing
At R&K Roofing, we’re dedicated to providing fast and affordable service when you need us most. If you’ve experienced a recent wind storm, it’s crucial to assess your property for roof damage. Contact us today to schedule your free roof inspection.